Thursday 11 April 2013

Unit 4 - 3.2 Create and justify a personal development plan, 3.3 Describe opportunities for training and development and explain the relevance of those choices


There are a number of areas within my job role that focus on constantly evolving topics such as web standards and programming languages. It is therefore important that I keep up to date with these areas and become efficient at learning the latest techniques and practices in these areas. Below is a plan of action with regard to some of these skills, including opportunities for me to train in these areas:

CSS3 / HTML5

With CSS3 and HTML5 becoming more and more commonly used on the web, it is vital that I learn these standards as soon as possible, to ensure that when they become common practice, I will be able to implement them to my work with ease. With my current knowledge in HTML and CSS, research and "hands on" experience with CSS3 and HTML5 would likely be enough for me to learn the new techniques fairly easily. There are a number of website available that offer in depth tips and tutorials, and other resources for learning, such as: W3Schools, and Trip Wire Magazine, which are free resources for me to educate myself "on-the-fly" when I have any down time at work.

Video Editing

Being able to produce my own video content for the company website and social media channels would be a great boost to my productivity. My skills in this area are fairly basic, so I would need to practice and or take a course in video shooting / editing in order to develop in this area. There are opportunities at my local college, SCCB,  for video editing courses, which would be ideal for learning these skills in an academic environment, as all relevant equipment and software would be readily available.

Photography

Although my Photography skills have already improved drastically, there are still certain areas that I would like to improve upon through practice. This would also give me the opportunity to produce more assets for the company website and social media platforms. There are a variety of photography competitions that I could enter, as well as opportunities at various events that my company stage, where I could gain experience and confidence with photography.